Cross posted on my other site, iLearn Technology.com. Just like iLearn Technology, you can search any app by Bloom’s Taxonomy level. All of the websites I share on iLearn Technology are completely FREE, the apps I review tend to be a mix of free and paid apps. At the bottom of each post, I share the cost of the app.|
What it is: Fluency Finder is a fantastically handy app that I learned about from my friend @dkapuler. David was kind enough to offer Team Anastasis some download codes so that we could try the app out with our students. Any teacher who has ever done fluency tests knows that they can be a little bit of a pain. Folders and folders of passages to store, stop watch, scribbled notes on the page as they read, calculator, and keeping track of it all in an orderly fashion to refer back to later. I’m a huge fan of anything that can help minimize the paper I have to store and keep track of in my life. Fluency Finder takes care of all of this! Not only can you record results, you can also maintain records on a class full of students and share information. You can easily find and track fluency rates so that you have more time to help students strengthen reading skills and find books that are confidence-building and enjoyable.
How to integrate Fluency Finder app into the classroom:
Fluency Finder makes it simple to assess reading fluency in 1st-8th grade reading levels. To get started:
- Add students to the app
- Select an appropriate grade level passage for the student to read
- Print the passage from the www.fluencyfinder.com website (students could also read from their own iDevice or computer if you want to save paper)
- Begin assessment, start the app timer as the student begins reading
- Student will read from printed passage as you follow on your iDevice marking any mistakes
- Tap the (+) button when student makes a reading mistake
- Tap the (-) button if the student self-corrects a mistake
- End the timer when the student finishes
- Tap the “finish assessment” button to instantly see results
Now instead of focusing so much on keeping track of the fluency and score, you can focus on what actually matters: listening for fluency, comprehension and expression.
Being a paperless school, we are LOVING this option for helping students choose books that are at a level that is “just right.” It gives us the opportunity to help students hunt down the perfect amount of challenge and really focus on a story they can love. We are all about encouraging an absolute love of reading!
Tips: Target Fluency Rates
First Grade: 60-70 wpm
Second Grade: 80-95 wpm
Third Grade: 100-120 wpm
Fourth Grade: 120-135 wpm
Fifth Grade: 130-145 wpm
Sixth Grade: 140-150 wpm
Seventh Grade: 150-160 wpm
Eighth Grade 160-175 wpm
Cost: $6.99 (iTunes link)
Compatible with: iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later
Leave a comment and tell us how you are using Fluency Finder in your classroom.